• Lauren

Household Items that are Toxic to Our Pets




Did you know that March is dedicated to spreading awareness surrounding poison prevention for both humans and your pets? Every year thousands of pets are accidentally poisoned by household items we may not even think twice about. We’re going to do our part alongside Pet Poison Helpline to provide you with some common household items that are toxic to our fur babies as well as some sources to have at the ready should you find yourself in this situation.


Let’s jump into a few common household items to keep away from your pets:


Xylitol

Xylitol is a sweetener that is highly toxic to dogs even when small amounts are ingested. One of the most prominent things you can find this in is sugarless gum but it is also apparent in things like baked goods and candies. Blood sugar can drop to levels that can be life-threatening if ingested but it can also cause liver failure. If you find that your pet is weak, vomiting frequently, or even has difficulty walking it may be a direct result of Xylitol in their system.


Human Medications

Common over-the-counter medications such as Aleve, Advil, and Motrin can cause things like stomach/ intestinal ulcers as well as kidney failure.


Cat’s red blood cells can be damaged from Ingesting Acetaminophen and when ingested by dogs, liver failure can become apparent.


Antidepressants can lead to neurological problems and it is said that ingestion of antidepressants is one of the most common helpline calls.


Flowers

We know how tempting it is to buy all the flowers, especially when Spring begins to approach. Before you buy up the lot at our local garden shop, please keep in mind that if you have cats, there are a few you need to avoid. A large variety of Lilies have been known to cause severe kidney failure. Daffodils and Tulips are often leading causes of diarrhea and abdominal pain and vomiting.


Chocolate

This is likely the item we all know to be toxic to our pets but we wanted to highlight a couple of types that pose the biggest problem. Not that any type of chocolate is particularly “good” for our pets, but dark chocolate and baker’s chocolate are by far the worst. If you see the following symptoms in your pet it may mean that they have gotten into some sweet treats: Vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, seizures. Death is not out of the question here either so it is incredibly important that we keep chocolate away.


Fertilizers

There are likely so many people that don’t even consider the fact that fertilizer can be toxic to their pets. Lucky for us, though there are brands that have done their due diligence and come up with some pet-friendly alternatives. Common symptoms of fertilizer ingestion can include things like constant urination and defecation, watery eyes, drooling, fever, difficulty breathing, and even death.


Pest Control

There are so many forms of pest control that we all use without even thinking about if it could be harmful to our pets. Do your part and look for a pet-friendly alternative for pest control, too otherwise you run the risk of kidney failure, seizures, swelling of the brain, and even blood clotting in your pet.


The list of items that can be toxic to our pets can go on and on so it is important to continue to educate yourself on how to keep your pets safe from toxins inside and outside the home.


If you think that your pet has ingested something potentially hazardous to them please seek immediate help. Waiting for symptoms to show can be detrimental to your pet. Your local veterinarian can help or you can call the Pet Poison Helpline at (800) 213-6680.


Here’s to keeping our little pets happy and healthy!



0 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

703.721.8913 

  • Black Yelp Icon

©2020 by Off Collar,LLC

5500 Dorset Drive Alexandria, VA 22311